Mathematics majors apply math, probability, statistics, and the principles of business and finance to analyze statistical data and assess business risks. Mathematics at UBC provides an excellent balance of pure and applied mathematics and is useful, important, and interesting.
This program is also offered at UBC's Okanagan CampusFind out more
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Arts
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
While it is traditionally considered a science, many Arts students specialize in Mathematics. The program offers a large selection of courses in various areas of pure and applied mathematics.
You can select an Honours, Major, Combined Major, or Minor in Mathematics, as well as programs combining Mathematics with another subject such as Economics, English, Linguistics, Music, or Philosophy. You are advised to consult a Mathematics advisor to design a coherent program of study suitable to your interests and abilities.
The Living Mathematics Project hosted at UBC is working to apply recent advances in computer programming languages and the technology of the World Wide Web to construct a new medium for the communication of Mathematics.
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
IB Diploma Programme
- Completed IB Diploma, including at least three Higher Level courses.
IB Certificate Courses
- IB Certificate courses (Standard and Higher Level) may be used in an admissions average if you are graduating from a recognized high school curriculum that can be used as your basis of admission.
- Students who complete the IB Diploma in English are required to achieve a minimum score of 3 in an IB Group 1 English course at either Standard or Higher Level. (If you are an international student with a score of less than 3, you may be eligible for UBC Vantage One programs.)
- IB Math Applications and Interpretations SL, or IB Math Studies, do not satisfy the math requirement for admission to UBC’s science-based programs, the Faculty of Management, the UBC Sauder School of Business, or the Vancouver School of Economics.
- Van Test
Degree-specific requirements: Arts
- No specific courses required beyond those needed for general admission
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in your junior year and senior year.
- Language Arts
- Mathematics and Computation
- Second Languages
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts