The UBC Beyond Tomorrow Scholars Program assists Black Canadian students who are transitioning to UBC from secondary school or another post-secondary institution. The purpose of the program is to financially support academically qualified students who show an interest in joining and contributing to the UBC community at both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses, but who would not be able to attend without significant financial assistance. Through the program, new students can access a variety of one-time and renewable awards of up to $80,000.
More than award recipients, UBC Beyond Tomorrow Scholars participate in a range of programming and supports designed for them to thrive at UBC. Find out more information.
To be considered for the Beyond Tomorrow Scholars Award:
- You must self-identify as Black (African, African-American, African-Canadian, Afro-Caribbean)
- You must be a strong academic student and meet all UBC admissions requirements.
- You must demonstrate financial need.
- You must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person in Canada.
- You must be entering directly from high school or transferring from another post-secondary institution.
- You must apply to a direct entry undergraduate program at UBC, and not have a previous degree.
Although you can specify two undergraduate degree choices in your application to UBC, your award application will only be considered for your first-choice campus and degree.
How to apply
- Submit your UBC application by December 1, 2021
- Complete the UBC Entrance Award Application and select the Beyond Tomorrow Scholars Award by December 1, 2021.
What to include
A completed Beyond Tomorrow Scholars Application will include the following:
- Student Application Form
- Description of Circumstance (maximum 1,000 words)
A statement outlining your personal, family, and financial situation that makes it necessary for you to apply for this award. You must explain your involvement and contribution to your school, community, or family, and your interest in joining and contributing to the UBC community. You must also describe how receiving this award and being part of the Beyond Tomorrow Scholars Program will impact your personal situation, now and in the future.
- Parent/Guardian Form
This is to provide information on your family’s finances, and is required for students who have been attending high school within the past 48 months. If you are not in contact with your parent/guardian or are unable to submit a parent/guardian form, you can explain your situation in your Description of Circumstance.
- Reference Form
Your personal reference must be well acquainted with you, and able to comment on your character, interest in UBC, and financial circumstances. Your reference could be – but is not limited to – a coach, a teacher, your counsellor, your principal, your supervisor from a work or volunteer position, your family doctor, or a community or religious leader.
Deadline to apply
Completed Beyond Tomorrow Scholar Award applications – including your Student Application Form, Description of Circumstance, Reference Form, and Parent/Guardian Form (if applicable) – must be received by December 1, 2021.
You must also complete your UBC admission application by December 1, 2021.
UBC will contact the majority of Beyond Tomorrow Scholars Award recipients by May 15, 2022. Only successful award applicants will be contacted.