Apply for a study permit

International students need a valid study permit to attend UBC. Getting a permit can take several months, so be sure to begin the process as soon as you accept your offer of admission.

Who needs to apply

You will need to apply for a study permit if:

  • You are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
  • You will be attending UBC for longer than 6 months.

Special instructions apply if:

  • You are under 19 years of age.
  • You are attending high school in Canada on a study permit.
  • You are coming to UBC from a Canadian college or university.
  • You are a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
  • You are a resident of China, Greenland, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal, St. Pierre and Miquelon, or Vietnam.

How to apply

Study permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Depending on your country of citizenship, you may be required to pass a medical examination or provide biometric information in addition submitting documentation. To get started:


Download your letter of admission from UBC. Log in to the Student Service Centre, click Admissions, and select Letter of Admission.


Check permit processing times. Visit the IRCC website, select Temporary residence (visiting, studying, working), and choose the appropriate study permit option to see your estimated processing time.


Follow the steps to apply. Learn more about applying for a study permit for UBC Okanagan or UBC Vancouver.

Advisor tip

“UBC’s International Student Guide is your go-to online resource for information on immigration, health insurance, taxes, and more. There’s even a study permit tutorial.”

Claudia, Enrolment Services Advisor

UBC Admissions Blog

Tips from UBC students for after you’ve been admitted

Blog post summary paragraph consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt .

Read more
ubc admission

Take the next step

Plan your finances